What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for their children. The School Sport Premium money is ring fenced and can only be spent on Physical Education and sport provision in school. Schools will be expected to spend the funding on improving and enhancing their provision of physical education and sport.
Sports Premium spending at High Spen Primary School:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified coaches to work with members of staff to develop their knowledge within specific sports.
- Paying for the professional development opportunities in PE/Sport for staff
- Providing cover to allow teachers for professional development in PE/Sport
- Running or supervising competitions within the cluster.
- Buying quality assured PE/Sport equipment
- Buying quality assured professional development modules for PE/Sport
- Providing more after school activities for pupils of all ages.
For a full breakdown of the sporting activities our pupils have enjoyed, please open the following link.
Autumn Term 2014/2015
As a school we have decided to up skill our football skills. We are lucky to have a Newcastle Football Coach to enable us to do this.
It is not only the children learning new football skills, the teachers will be joining in too! Miss Hurst (Year 1) Mrs Lawson (Year 2) Mrs Lowes (year 3/4) and Mr Cradock (Year 4/5) are working alongside our football coaches. (Professional development) The coach is currently teaching the classes while teachers support. After this, the coach and teachers will be planning and delivering lessons as a team. This has been successful in the first few weeks and the children look forward to their sessions.
Quotes from staff :
“So far I have learned new skills and games that can be adapted and used in a range of PE sessions. The coach is thorough and has high expectations of the children. I am looking forward to team teaching and developing my skills. ”
“I enjoy the football sessions. It is great to work alongside a coach who inspires the children. The games that the children play are simple yet fantastic. The children have fun and practice their skills with a huge smile. I am excited to plan together and have go.”