Sports Premium Budget 2017-2018
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding per annum to improve the provision of physical education and sport in primary schools. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport and will see money going directly to Primary School Head Teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for their children.
The School Sport Premium money is ring fenced and can only be spent on Physical Education and sport provision in school. Schools will be expected to spend the funding on improving and enhancing their provision of physical education and sport.
This year school will receive approximately £17,000 to invest in the provision and promotion of sport, activity and healthy lifestyles across the school.
Ofsted recommendations are that investment should “impact on increasing participation, promoting health and wellbeing and improving performance of all children and groups” and these are coloured according to the area of impact we are aiming to improve.
This doubling of the funding this year comes in line with the sugar tax being introduced and runs hand in hand with the Government’s Childhood Obesity Plan (COP).
What difference will Sport Premium make to PE and sport participation?
- There will be an increased of children will participate in sports and school sport competitions.
- All children will participate in Intra school competitions. E.g. house matches, competitions in PE lessons, School Games day
- Afterschool opportunities led by professional coaches
- Specialist coaching within PE lessons to develop skills of children and class teachers.
- New equipment will be bought to enhance the teaching of Sport within school.
Ways we have been spending the money:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified coaches to work with members of staff to develop their knowledge within specific sports.
- Paying for the professional development opportunities in Sport for staff
- Running or supervising competitions within the cluster.
- Buying quality assured PE/sport equipment
- Buying quality assured professional development modules for PE/sport
- Providing more after school activities for pupils of all ages.
- Providing opportunities for all children to participate in local sports festivals.
- New to 2017/2018
- Cycle Generation – Cycle Generation is an exciting new sport in High Spen. Experienced Coaches allow a full class from year 4,5 and 6 to build up their cycling skills and then use these in the community. Cycle Generation provide enough bikes for the children so each child has access to this fun filled session. Year 5 and Year 6 children will take part in a cycling residential to ensure they have a chance to practice their newly learnt skills.
- We have booked an Extra coach in school for a full afternoon to provide high quality PE sessions.
- We have booked an Extra Coach to provide specific Early Years PE sessions for a full afternoon. These sessions link to child initiated activities. The Coaches and Staff are working together to link assessments to individual children’s Early Years Profile.
- Every child from years 4,5,6 will attend swimming sessions in a year. The children who are still learning to swim / can swim 25m independently will have extra sessions to ensure that they become successful.
Due to the changes we have made within Physical Education we are hoping to achieve the School Games this Year.
Due to the changes in swimming we have 93% of children in KS2 who can swim 25m independently. The 7 % who are yet to be successful to swim 25m independently are still attending swimming lesson to improve their skills and water confidence. By continuing to allow children extra access to swimming lessons we are hoping to achieve 100% of children leaving KS2 with the ability to swim confidently.
|Affiliation to Gateshead School Sports Partnership Premium Membership||Access to some of the Gateshead interschool competitions and activity days.|
|Cluster Partnership with Local school||Increased participation within sports and competitive sports within a range of year groups.|
|Magpie Sports Coaching
|Qualified sports coach used to provide PE lessons to all Year 5 and 6 classes. The companies also offer a range of afterschool clubs allowing an increasing participation in physical activity.|
|Strength and conditioning training||An Athlete from Thorpe providing professional training to prepare children for participation in sports.|
|Early Years Sporting afternoon||Early Years children have the chance to improve their performance as session are child initiated. A healthy lifestyle if promoted due to the child directed activities.|
|Cycling Generation/ Cycling residential for year 5 and 6 pupils||Cycling sessions promote a heathy lifestyle as skills taught are revisited and promoted as a life skill. Provides children with cycling experience/exercise out of the local area. Promoting children’s health and well being.|
|Release for P.E co-ordinator management time||Put aside to pay for additional release time to support in the admin and the running of the external sports, attending competitions and events attended over the year and the strategic planning of a quality PE curriculum.|
|Extended swimming sessions||An increase of children achieving their 25 m award.|
|Transport||Cover costs for new or replacement equipment and transport for children to attend events.|